What if you could find a cure for Ebola and earn money with it?
Even if it sounds almost too good to be true, that is possible! But you're not going to get rich from this. This is possible thanks to software from Berkeley University called Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC). BOINC is a software platform for distributed computing that allows you to distribute computer-intensive tasks to computers all over the world. Volunteers donate free of charge the unused computing power of their computer for research. BOINC meanwhile comprises a large number of different projects. The projects cover, for example, the search for a remedy against Ebola, AIDS, cancer and the creation of a 3D map of the Milky Way. While many users have been doing this for years out of pure enthusiasm, Gridcoin now offers the possibility to reward the users of the BOINC software.
Even though you won't make the big money with BOINC and Gridcoin, it's worth having a look at Gridcoin. Many exciting projects are just waiting for your computing power. Science has made our world the way it is today and improved our lives. It has never been so easy to support science. Below is a list of some projects you can participate in. For more information about Gridcoin click here.
- World Community Grid
- FightAIDS@Home -> Search for a cure for AIDS
- Smash Childhood Cancer -> Search for a cure for childhood cancer
- Mapping Cancer Markers -> Search for a cure for cancer
- Outsmart Ebola Together -> Search for a cure for Ebola
- OpenZika -> Search for a cure for Zika
- Rosetta@home -> Protein structure prediction
- GPUGRID -> Protein structure prediction
- Amicable Numbers -> Calculation of Amicable Numbers